Re: Question Regarding Importing Tables and Modifying Table Creation Defaults

From: Linda Lorentz <lal5241_at_bcsfse.ca.boeing.com>
Date: 1997/01/16

The 'show=y' option will only generate statements for a few entities like table creations, column constraints, primary and unique keys, and other indexes. It will not regenerate scripts for other referential integrity constraints, so be sure that your scripts really do everything you want... Most of the things it generates have a logical/physical 'thing' that needs to be created in a tablespace. Establishing a foreign key does not apparently qualify to Oracle...

In article <01bc0338$5767bec0$596993cf_at_default>, "Vijay Vardhineni" <vardhineni_at_worldnet.att.net> writes:
|> While Importing use INDEXFILE with show=y option. It will create CREATE
|> TABLE and CREATE INDEX commands in a file. All CREATE TABLE statements
|> will be commented out with REM. vi that file and delete all the occurrences
|> of "REM" s at the beginning of a line using "1,$ s/^REM//" in vi. You
|> can create tables and indexes using this file without removing double
|> quotes. You may also want to check for any unwanted lines in this file,
|> delete them if you find any.
|>
|> --
|> Vijaya Kumar Vardhineni
|> Certified Oracle DBA, EDS
|> Plano, TX
|> Rich Richardson <richard_richardson_at_ps.net> wrote in article
|> <32DCE5C1.2891_at_ps.net>...
|> > Is anyone familiar with the following situation?
|> >
|> > I am converting an Oracle Database from NT to UNIX.
|> > Normal migration through exports and script verification works fine.
|> >
|> > I have one issue:
|> >
|> > I need to modify the default freelist values as they currently will
|> > not support the size of the database without some blocking
|> > contention. Without having to export rebuild and import each table
|> > is there a script or method out there that will allow me to do the
|> > following procedure?
|> >
|> > 1. Export database structure without rows
|> > 2. Import the structure with show and log so that the script for ddl
|> > now exists.
|> >
|> > Here is the part I need:
|> >
|> > 3. I can modify the freelist value with sed, I need to find a script
|> > to format the rest of the SQL code for execution.
|> >
|> > This would be to remove the quotes and to also know when
|> > a SQL block has completed and place a semicolon at the end.
|> >
|> > I thought I would post this question in hopes that this is already
|> > out there or possibly someone may have a better answer.
|> >
|> > Thanks Rich.

Forsan et haec olim meminisse juvabit...

Linda Lorentz,      lal5241_at_bcsfse.ca.boeing.com
Boecom and SRPC Database Administration
Boeing  MS 2L-75    (206) 544-9911