Importing tables with funny names

From: Joel Garry <Joel.Garry_at_pebble.org>
Date: 1997/01/15

 JY> From: Jim Yoshii <yoshii_at_planet.net>

 JY> A user of our database has created tables with names like "_TABLE_"
 JY> (don't ask why cause I don't know).  By double quoting the table name in
 JY> his SQL statements he can perform any normal operations.  The problem
 JY> occurs when we do database exports.  Tables with names like this export
 JY> OK, but when we try to import them the import fails with an invalid
 JY> character error because import doesn't double quote the table name when
 JY> it attempts to create the table!

 JY> Can anyone think of a decent work around?

 JY> TIA,  JY> yoshii_at_planet.net

If you are on unix, perhaps you can use sed on the exp file, very carefully, of course, so you don't stomp on some special characters.

I'm guessing you would want to search for those tablenames, and replace them with the the tablenames surrounded by extra quotes.

Use the unix strings command to see what exp is putting on those tablenames to begin with.

Hope this helps.

jg

--
Standard disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly his own.