TNS error on 7.3.2 for Solaris

From: James Cooper <pixel_at_organic.com>
Date: 1997/01/14

Hi,

I'm configuring a new Oracle installation on a Sparc20 running Solaris 2.5. Oracle 7.3.2.

All is well, except for my tnsnames.ora setup. tnsping from a remote machine works fine, but I can't login with sql*plus. I get the following error:

ORA-12504: TNS:listener was not given the SID in CONNECT_DATA

But of course, I have SID in the CONNECT_DATA section in tnsnames.ora

Here's the file (host name changed....):

######
#
# tnsnames.ora
#
# January 1997
##############

mydb.organic.com =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =

(COMMUNITY = organic.com)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = myhost.organic.com)
(Port = 1526)
) (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORA1)
(GLOBAL_NAME = mydb.organic.com)
)

    )
  )

does that look OK to you all? I have ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID set appropriately.

Thanks in advance for any pointers/advice!

                              James Paul Cooper
                      Organic Online - pixel_at_organic.com
                          ......Know Future......