Re: Exporting large (>8 gig) database in UNIX?

From: Siegfried Pietralla <spietralla_at_colonial.com.au>
Date: 1997/01/14

In article <32d872b6.8131270_at_news.mindspring.com>,

   jimntina_at_mindspring.com (Jim Mahoney) wrote:

>squinn_at_netcomuk.co.uk (Simon Quinn) wrote:
>
>>What is the best way to do a full export on an ORACLE database on
>>UNIX?
>>
>>The current file size limit on the version we are using is 2Gigabytes
>>and I estimate the database will be 8 Gig in size.
>>
>>What is the best way to split it into separate sections or is there an
>>option in EXP to split the export file? I am using v7.2.3.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Simon.
>
>I don't think there are any options to break up an export into 2gig
>files. The only thing I can think of would be to export by table, user
>or schema. This assumes there are no 2gig + objects.
>
>Jim

or just export to tape - it's probably a lot quicker than you think, you don't need the extra disc space, and it's easy to archive! i had the same problem and went the tape route - it took ~4hours to export 6.8Gb of data (and this was onto a remote tape - didn't have any local tape drives free).

good luck Received on Tue Jan 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CST