Re: We want Oracle for Linux !!!

From: Allen Kirby <akirby_at_att.com>
Date: 1997/01/13

Atif Ahmad Khan wrote:

> Are you kidding me ? Or are you really serious ? There are more
> Linux users out there than Solaris users ! Anybody who thinks
> otherwise should come out of the hole that they have been living
> in for the past several years.

Well, I guess I'm coming out of my hole to reply to your message. How could you possibly say that there are more Linux users than Solaris users when Sun ships Solaris with every Server and workstation it sells? And I don't know anyone who would use Linux for a real business application at this point in time. Now if you were only speaking of an Intel platform, you should have stated that up front.

It is not trivial to port Oracle to Linux, because you would probably expect *support* for Linux as well, which means Oracle would have to *test* with Linux and produce a whole set of documentation for Linux, etc.etc.etc. I seriously doubt the number of users who would buy Oracle for Linux would allow Oracle to recover their costs here. Now if Linux had thousands of users maybe they would consider it. Is Linux actually a supported platform now by a vendor - last I checked it was just shareware. If you want to run Oracle on Intel, NT seems to be the choice. Not that I like NT that much, but it's SUPPORTED and IT WORKS and there is a huge installed base from which to leverage.

> Yeah, well, Oracle has fools like you making the decisions it seems.

I like fools who decide it's not good business to spend millions of dollars of R&D on a product with a revenue stream of a few hundred thousand (if that).

Can I crawl back in my hole now? Thanks.

--
---
Allen Kirby			AT&T ITS Production Services