Re: We want Oracle for Linux !!!

From: Alvin Sylvain <alvin_at_c-square.no.junk>
Date: 1997/01/13

Atif Ahmad Khan wrote:

> Alvin Sylvain <alvin_at_c-square.no.junk> writes:
>
> >Atif Ahmad Khan wrote:
> >>
> >> If anybody at Oracle is listening :
> >>
> >> We want Oracle fo Red-Hat Linux !!!!

> >Don't tell us, there's nothing =we= can do about it!
>
> If you read my first line, I was addressing "somebody at Oracle".

Then you assume "somebody at Oracle" reads their newsgroups. Some do, no doubt, but very probably not the person who and resolve your problem(s).

> >Instead, try contacting Oracle at their web site, which I think
> >is something along the lines of http://www.oracle.com.
>
> I have already done that several times, not just about a Linux
> release but regarding other matters also. I think they are just
> piping it all to /dev/null

If they're going to ignore messages you send them directly, why do you suppose they'll suddenly awaken from the dead to respond to messages on the newsgroups?

Besides, I was just trying to help. Since this is the kind of response my efforts generate, I'll be more careful in the future.

> >Altho you'll probably have to have a serious sales pitch to
> >make it happen. Oracle is interested in selling lots of
> >product for lots of money. Linux suffers from a) not having
> >as large a customer base, therefore there are fewer people
>
> Are you kidding me ? Or are you really serious ? There are more
> Linux users out there than Solaris users ! Anybody who thinks
> otherwise should come out of the hole that they have been living
> in for the past several years.

Sure, and DOS outsells all of them combined. Oracle does have a DOS version, I believe. But, I don't think it generates anywhere near the revenue that Solaris does. I suppose they believe the market is large enough to invest their resources in, but I'll bet their a lot happier with their Solaris investments.

> >to sell to, and b) the people who get Linux are cost-conscious.
> >If not, they would have bought Solaris or something for several
> >10's of 100's of dollars. Instead, they bought Linux for the
> >price of thick book, or they downloaded for the price of a
> >phone connection. Therefore, Oracle for Linux would have to
>
> Uh ? Again you don't have the slightest idea of what you are
> talking about. Do you have any experience with the latest Linux at
> all ? Or do you just like talking about stuff that you are completely
> clueless about ?

I have spoken to a person who =helped= =debug= =the= =kernel= for Linux. (He consults for us on a semi-regular basis.) He does =not= recommend it for commercial applications. Now, perhaps that has changed since we last spoke.

> I paid for my Solaris OS !!! and I got my Linux
> for free !!! and I still would rather be using Linux !!! How much
> more clear do you want me to be ?

You speak for yourself. How many 100's of people bought Linux as their =first= choice =because= it was free?

I know another fellow (co-worker) who "bought" Linux on one of those CD-ROM books. I guarantee you that he has =zero= plans of spending =any= money on Solaris (short of winning the Lottery).

So which one of you two should Oracle worry about? Which one of you two represent the =bulk= of Linux owners? You believe it's yourself. I say it's my co-worker, and I suspect that's the way Oracle feels.

> >be =extremely= inexpensive (read: CHEAP), or folks won't buy.
>
> Stupidity has no end.

Just last week I was in a discussion with a newbie on a politics newsgroup who was complaining about all the people who have called him all sorts of nasty names. I informed him that such was standard fare on Usenet newsgroups; flames, and often for no good reason.

I thank you for proving my point so ... "eloquently". I'll have to forward a copy of your article.

> I have bought Oracle for Solaris. I'll
> gladly buy Oracle for Linux ! (I have got my wallet out, I'd be willing
> to pay in advance).

So, are you willing to pay their full development and conversion costs, and =guarantee= that their investment (pulling programmers off other projects, etc) will be worth it for them?

Is your wallet =that= fat?

> And there are alot of other folks like me ! Heck
> people are so desperate that they have bought the SCO version of Oracle
> and have been trying to get the SCO version to work under Linux.

Again, I'm not the person you have to convince. If Oracle has decided that you and people like you aren't worth the trouble, well, that's their decision, isn't it?

Maybe you should try calling up their vice-president in charge of marketing and/or new products or something.

> >This adds up to a pretty huge "We'll Just Wait And See" from
> >Oracle's point of view.
>
> Yeah, well, Oracle has fools like you making the decisions it seems.

Or perhaps Oracle simply is not interested in ... individuals ... such as yourself.

> Atif Khan
> aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu

Merry Christmas in advance.

alvin_at_c-square.com Received on Mon Jan 13 1997 - 00:00:00 CST