Re: Help! how to recover user (DES2K) without complete DB recovery

From: Allen Kirby <akirby_at_att.com>
Date: 1997/01/13

Richard G. Ramirez wrote:

> I need to recover the tablespace TOOLS from a physical backup
> on a database run in NOARCHIVELOG mode. Can anyone help?
>

> Oracle is 7.1.4 on AIX 3.2. Our Unix people make a physical backup daily.

> I used my "test-test" database to see what works. If I simply
> restore the datafile from backup, Oracle tells me I need
> "media recovery." When I use RECOVER DATABASE;, it asks me for
> an archived log file that does not exist.

Richard,

	Hate to tell you this but you're screwed.  It sounds like the
	unix backups taken were 'hot' backups, thus the request for
	'media recovery' when you restored one of the datafiles.  There
	is no way that I know of to restore a NOARCHIVELOG database
	unless you have a complete, COLD backup.  If the backups were
	not done while Oracle was stopped, you won't be able to use
	the backups without redo logs (which you don't have).  It's
	a painful lesson to learn, but I think you already know that.
	Better luck next time.

Allen
--
---
Allen Kirby			AT&T ITS Production Services