Measuring performance gains

From: <anupcomp_at_giasbm01.vsnl.net.in>
Date: 1997/01/12

Hi!!

We have been asked to tune an Oracle Database on Unix.

We are also required to generate statistics before and after the tuning to show the difference in the overall performance of the system due to tuning.

What statistics would you suggest to measure the overall system performance? The response time for users is a crucial factor. How do we measure it? Is someone doing something like this?

We have thought of running some batch jobs, doing a TKPROF on them, and comparing the results. Is this a correct way? If yes, which statistics from TKPROF are most relevant?

Any ideas??

Anup.

Anup Jalan
Anup Computers                                  Tel   : 91-22-364 7992
33, Shankar Sagar                               Fax   : 91-22-363 6176
Sophia College Road
Bombay 400 026                   email : anupcomp_at_giasbm01.vsnl.net.in
INDIA