Re: Oracle Client Software Manger

From: <jhostetter_at_dande.com>
Date: 1997/01/10

In article <32D5156D.5A0E_at_MAIL.SICD.ETN.COM>,

   JASON JACQUE <JACQUE_at_MAIL.SICD.ETN.COM> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Does anybody have any experience using the Oracle Client Software
>Manager that is bundled with Developer/2000. We would like to use it to
>distribute Developer/2000 to our developers. If this works well, we
>would try to use it to distribute forms executables to our users.
>
>Does anyone know when it will handle 32-bit apps?
>
>Has anyone used it in a LAN other than Novell? We have Pathworks (from
>DEC) running on a DEC Alpha.
>
>tia,
>
>Jason

I experimented with it on Win 3.1 on Novell. Here's three things to note:

  1. I needed a patch. The client agent kept blowing up with a "stack overflow". If this happens on your clients, call Oracle.
  2. The TNSNAMES.ORA is not downloaded to the client.
  3. Some products are not certified for a "shared install." You will have to use the products that are on the CD that has the OCM. We installed the GUI version of Oracle Applications (Financials) and I wanted to use the OCM. We had to setup a separate Oracle home on the network to use the OCM. We could only put the products that came on that CD into this new Oracle Home. It would not work with the existing Oracle home which had products in it like Server Manager and Pro*COBOL.

Jay Hostetter
D. and E. Communications
Ephrata, Pa. U.S.A