Re: Export- Import

From: Ken Friday <ken_friday_at_pleasantco.com>
Date: 1997/01/10

Venu Sripada wrote:

> To Everyone: Please help
>
> We have an overnight process where by :
>
> 1.Full export ( Oracle EXP )of production database is produced on
> production machine.
> 2.Export file is rcp-ed to development machine.
> 3.All application tables on development database are droped.
> 4.All application tables are imported ( ORACLE IMP ) to development
> database from production export file.
> Thus, every day our developers have fresh data as of the end of previous
> business day.
> The problem we run into is that some tables fail to import due to
> unavailability of large contigious extents. We try to create these
> tables after having droped them specifying storage parameters like (
> initial and next sizes) . But problem occurs with another table.
>
> Our environment is:
> 1. Production machine: Sun Solaris 2.4 ; Oracle rel. 7.1.6
> 2. Development machine: Sun OS 4.1.3; Oracle rel. 7.1.6
>
> Is there better way to achive out goal of providing backup copy of
> prodn. data ( also the flexibility of refreshing individual tables)
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Venu
> Citibank.

Two thoughts:

Are you exporting with "compress extents" turned on ? If so turning it off might help.

You might consider truncation instead of droping the target tables and ignore=y during import.

If the tables in question comprise the entire database why not copy the database in total ? You're going to a different machine so you can get away with the same dbname.

Hope this helps.
Ken Received on Fri Jan 10 1997 - 00:00:00 CST