Re: multi-valued field?

From: Isaac <yassin_at_netvision.net.il>
Date: 1997/01/10

Allen Kirby wrote:

> Tony Vuong wrote:
>
> > Assuming now, that I have a column field that is multi-valued, one value
> > is separate from another by a delimiter. For example, my rows might look like

Hi,

The whole idea of relational is about normalization. If you prefer not to normalize then you pay the price of having to do manuall work to handle the data and the price can be VERY costly. If you normalize correctly and use correct indexes and build correct SQL to access the data you won't pay any penalty in response time. I still can't figure out why the multi-values you want have is really needed unless it comes from other environment (like PICK). You don't really have to JOIN the whole 2 tables, usuaaly you need to join only a given key and no more, and if you need it in acursor type query to access the whole data then correct indexing and orderby clause will avoid a sort and then the resource usage (cpu,memory,disk...) is minimal.

Good Luck

Isaac