Re: Sybase to Oracle conversion

From: <winglaw_at_c-square.com>
Date: 1997/01/10

Simon Shur wrote:

> Hello there.
>
> I will be converting Sybase 4.9.2 databases to Oracle.

So are we. You have my sympathies. <:-)

> Could somebody
> please point me to some sources of information about conversion from
> Sybase to Oracle. Something like list of functions in Sybase that do
> not exist or have different "meaning" in Oracle or data types what
> exist in Sybase and not in Oracle and vice versa.
>
> Any help is appriciated.
>
> Thank you
>
> Simon Shur
> shur_at_ccs.neu.edu

Talk to your Oracle sales rep. Ask for the white paper and manual they have which describes this rather tedious process.

They are:

Converting Applications: Sybase 4.X DB Library/C to Oracle Call Interface (OCI); Nov 1995, Part Number A32521

Migrating from Sybase 4.X/MS SQL Server 4.2 to Oracle 7: Design Considerations; Jun 1995, Part Number A32081

Sybase 4.X to Oracle7, Stored Procedures Conversion Guide; Version 1.1, Jan 1995, Part Number A25436

Sybase 4.X to Oracle7, Database Conversion Guide; Version 1.1, Jan 1995, Part Number A25437

We are converting C applications which use Transact/SQL. We're doing it by writing emulated functions that perform the equivalent tasks in OCI. We're trying to minimize code breakage.

Let me know if I an be of any further assistance.

alvin_at_c-square.com
PLEASE!! NO JUNK E-MAIL!! Received on Fri Jan 10 1997 - 00:00:00 CST