Re: MAX # EXTENTS ERROR MESSAGE

From: Wachs Rene <Rene.Wachs_at_ezv.admin.ch>
Date: 1997/01/09

Stephen M. Earl wrote:

> I'm attempting to write a procedure to import/convert some legacy data into
> an Oracle table. I've been getting the following error message when I run
> the procedure:
>
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01631: max # extents (50) reached in table HR.PER_PEOPLE_F
> ORA-06512: at "ITI.CONVERT_EMPLOYEES", line 11
> ORA-06512: at line 1

 .. (stuff deleted) ...
> I'm not really sure what extents in a database or tablespace do exactly so
> that may be part of my problem. If anyone has any ideas as to why this
> error is popping up I'd really appreciate some help. Also, the procedure
> does work... it imports/converts 900 out of approximately 2800 records.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance...
>
> Stephen M. Earl
> InteSys Technologies, Inc.

Hello

You can alter the table to increase maxextents, issue :

  ALTER TABLE tabname
   STORAGE (MAXEXTENTS new_value) ;

Hihgest value for MAXEXTENT can be :

   505 if your DB-Block-Size is 8K

   247   "                       4K
   121   "                       2K

If you are Oracle 7.3 you can the maxextents to UNLIMITED. A tip for the future : don't set MAXEXTENTS to low ...

Hope this helps.

Regards, René Received on Thu Jan 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CST