Re: MAX # EXTENTS ERROR MESSAGE

From: Komix Hui <huikomix_at_dt.com.hk>
Date: 1997/01/09

Stephen M. Earl wrote:

> I'm attempting to write a procedure to import/convert some legacy data into
> an Oracle table. I've been getting the following error message when I run
> the procedure:
>
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01631: max # extents (50) reached in table HR.PER_PEOPLE_F
> ORA-06512: at "ITI.CONVERT_EMPLOYEES", line 11
> ORA-06512: at line 1

Your Error is nothing to do with your procedure, I think. To solve the problem, you have to modify the storage parameter of the table
you inserted:

  1. If max. extents is more than 50 in your OS, just increase the parameter 'max_extents' of table 'HR.PER_PEOPLE_F' to a higher value; (In Oracle7.3, max extents limitation does not exist, so you can always increase the 'maxextents' to a higher value.)
  2. otherwise, dump data of this table out, and trancate your table, and alter the 'next' and 'pctincrease' parameters and of your table. then import the exported data into this table. -- Hui, Kwok Miu (Xu, Guo Miao) E-Mail: huikomix_at_dt.com.hk Assistant MIS Manager Tel : (00852)2589 3369 Cho Yang (Hong Kong) Co., Ltd. Fax : (00852)2559 3049