Re: Understanding v$session_wait

From: MarkP28665 <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/01/09

1) Why are there so many "SQL*Net message from client" entries when the application uses OCI?
2) What's the significance of the negative numbers? <<

I am not an OCI expert, but I believe that OCI is a lot like PRO*C in that every SQL statement causes at least one sqlnet message for every action taken (like a row fetch) while a chunk of PL/SQL code can be passed to the RDBMS in one call and only the result passed back. Also results passed back can create a lot of messages. This is not a good technical answer, but should do if no one knowledable has time to respond.

Negative numbers in the Oracle performance scripts and in some v$ tables can be caused by Oracle only using an integer to keep track of some items.  If more than 2.1 billion events occur then when you add one more the binary value goes negative.

Mark Powell -- The only advise that counts is the advise that you follow so follow your own advise Received on Thu Jan 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CST