Re: multiple instances

From: N Prabhakar <prabhs_at_po.pacific.net.sg>
Date: 1997/01/09

poelsb_at_post.queensu.ca (Ben Poels) wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Does anyone have any documentation on creating multiple instances on a
>server. I am running Oracle 7.2 on an RS6000 AIX server however any
>documentation for any platform would probably be worth a read.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ben
>Ben Poels
>Queen's University

Hi there,

  1. Identify the instance name eg. test.
  2. copy init.ora to inittest.ora
  3. copy config.ora configtest.ora
  4. edit init.ora and change the ifile parameter variable to read configtest.ora
  5. edit the unix .profile of (oracle) and set the ORACLE_SID to new sid.
  6. execute the .profile
  7. execute sqldba and connect as internal
  8. startup nomount
  9. Issue the create database command. Please refer to manual for exact syntax.
  10. Create an additional rollback segment on system tablespace before proceeding with other tablespaces.
  11. Execute catblock.sql, catproc.sql, catexp.sql, catalog.sql in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin

The above will create an successful instance.

The above are just the guidelines, but please refer to Oracle DBA manual for further details.

Regards

N.Prabhakar Received on Thu Jan 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CST