Re: Statistics in Oracle server performance

From: Nevin Hahn <nhahn_at_ENTENTE.UHCOLORADO.EDU>
Date: 1997/01/08

d941686_at_sp2 (Leong San Io Francisco) wrote:
>Hello! Happy New Year!
>
>Recently, I posted a question regarding extremely bad Oracle performance on
>Netware, but no one replied... anyway, today, picking up the problem again,
>I deleted the statistics analyzed from the tables and the server returns
>back to the same level of performance before. Are statistics really BAD in
>Oracle 7.2.2? The tables that we have are fairly static so we decided to put
>on them statistics, but I haven't thought that putting them would be so bad!
>
>Francisco Leong
>d941686_at_umac.mo

Francisco,

We also experienced poor performance on our Oracle 7.2.2 Netware server when we had the optimizer_mode = CHOOSE (cost based) and had the tables analyzed. We observed a significant increase in performance when we changed the optimizer back to RULE. This doesn't prevent you though from analyzing the tables or on a per session basis using the cost based optimization.

Nevin Hahn
Univ. of Colorado - HSC Received on Wed Jan 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CST