Re: Import full database

From: Allen Kirby <akirby_at_att.com>
Date: 1997/01/08

Lynne Nyhan wrote:

> Question:
> Will the import bomb because the database already exists? The utilities
> guide talks about the import utility continuing when objects and users
> exist but not databases. Has anyone out there done something similar?
>
> Thank you!

Lynne,

	Last time I checked, import does not create a database for
	you.  It only imports the DATA and (optionally) creates the
	objects.  You must first create the database, and if you want
	to create the schemas to hold the objects, go ahead and do that,
	especially if you want something different than what was
	exported.  The manual reference to objects and users existing
	is what you want to look at.  I used to use 'IGNORE=Y' to
	ignore errors when trying to create objects that already exist.
	I've done this many times and it works just fine.  Don't create
	the indexes until you've imported the data, though.  Or let
	the import create the indexes for you, after it loads the table.
	Good Luck.

--
---
Allen Kirby			AT&T ITS Production Services