Re: how to become dba

From: Steve Shiflett <steven.p.shiflett_at_lmco.com>
Date: 1997/01/08

ELN/edteoh wrote:

> Can anyone help to guide me a way to become an oracle dba? It seems to
> be the hot job. Very appreciate your timely help.
>
> Ed

1) Go to every free database seminar you get an invitation for, and try and figure out what they are trying to say.

2) Get demo software and install on your pc (Oracle 7.2 would be nice)

3) Build a database and import huge amounts of data into it.

4) Read the Oracle news groups each day, and make a binder filled with all the problems and solutions. Notice which writers are good and which ones are not so good... then read the good ones everytime they write something: Thomas Kyte

5) Build user interfaces to enter data.

6) Build reports

7) Read up on database design so that you can feel comfortable with words like data integrity, referential integrity, normal form, cascade delete, and other such concepts.

8) Read the trade magazines (free) and try and figure out what they are saying. (If you go to the seminars, and look at the magazines, sooner or later it will start to make sense.)

9) Use common sense. It's all really very simple. If you can keep your clothes closet neat and orderly, chances are you can be a DBA. Received on Wed Jan 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CST