Re: MAX # EXTENTS ERROR MESSAGE

From: M.Rapier <M.Rapier_at_shef.ac.uk>
Date: 1997/01/08

In article <01bbfd19$96584e80$508ef6c0_at_SEARLHOME.intesys.com>, searl_at_primenet.com says...

>I'm attempting to write a procedure to import/convert some legacy data into
>an Oracle table. I've been getting the following error message when I run
>the procedure:
>
>ERROR at line 1:
>ORA-01631: max # extents (50) reached in table HR.PER_PEOPLE_F
>ORA-06512: at "ITI.CONVERT_EMPLOYEES", line 11
>ORA-06512: at line 1

{bunch of code snipped}

>I'm not really sure what extents in a database or tablespace do exactly so
>that may be part of my problem. If anyone has any ideas as to why this
>error is popping up I'd really appreciate some help. Also, the procedure
>does work... it imports/converts 900 out of approximately 2800 records.

Basically it means your table is full up.

Oracle allocates chunks of disk space to tables as it is required, each chunk being an 'extent'. Every table has an initial extent and various storage parameters control the allocation of subsequent extents, one of these being MAXEXTENTS, which in the case of your table has been set to 50.

You need to reset the storage parameters on your table appropriately to store the data volume you are dealing with. See 'Oracle 7 Server Administration Guide' chapter 8 & the 'Oracle 7 Server Concepts' manual for more info.

Cheers.
Martin.

Martin Rapier, Database Administrator
Corporate Information & Computing Services. University of Sheffield

To Infinity and Beyond.           Received on Wed Jan 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CST