Re: Multiple Instances or Multiple Servers

From: Allen Kirby <akirby_at_att.com>
Date: 1997/01/08

Vince Cross wrote:

> which of the following setups would be optimal for CPU and memory performance?
>
> 1. One single huge (2GB+ RAM) multi-CPU server running up to 5 different Oracle
> instances.
>
> 2. Use smaller servers for each database instance.
>
> Any real-life experiences would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Vince Cross

Vince,

	We've always run one large instance on one large server, but
	here are the tradeoffs for what you want to do.

	One instance per server is easier to keep track of and
	administer.  You won't get confused about which instance
	you are working on or looking at, especially if you are
	looking at Unix level processes or resources, etc.
	The advantage is that one instance can't use up the machine
	resources and affect the other instances.  You can also
	reboot one server without affecting others.  The downside
	is that if you run out of resources on one server, you have
	to upgrade.  Having all on one server allows you to share
	the extra capacity between all instances and possibly avoid
	an upgrade, but if one instance requires a reboot of the
	machine, you have to take down all the instances. It's really
	a matter of cost, administration complexity and future
	direction.  Either way will work just fine.

--
---
Allen Kirby			AT&T ITS Production Services