Re: Rollback segments

From: Roger Snowden <rsnowden_at_labinterlink.com>
Date: 1997/01/08

LEV <lev_at_hq.icb.chel.su> wrote in article <01bbf48b$d47528a0$0acd3ac2_at_lev.hq.icb.chel.su>...

> Sometimes we have blocking/waiting locks and
> Oracle Lock Manager (Enterprise Manager for W95) shows
> in OBJECT NAME field the name of rollback segment.
> (This field shows locked object as far as I inderstand)
> Besides we have a plenty free space in our
> rollback tablespace. Segments are 15Mb each other -
> 90 Mb (18 extents) are available for use.
> In general users works with different tables/objects
> and there are no obvious objects they can use
> at the same time.
>
> Shall we increase the number of rollback segments?

Increasing the population of RBSs is not a bad idea. I believe your message, however, is indicating that a blocking transaction simply resides on that RBS, and the problem is not the RBS itself. Many transactions can reside on one RBS, limited by RBS size and the TRANSACTIONS_PER_ROLLBACK_SEGMENT init parameter. You have to look into the transactions themselves and investigate the locking that is occurring on your system. Check out UTLBLOCK, etc. utilities to resolve locking/blocking issues. Received on Wed Jan 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CST