Re: Session Termination ????

From: Hui, Kwok Miu <huikomix_at_dt.com.hk>
Date: 1997/01/03

Sean Kubovcik wrote:

> What is the impact/differences between the following
> client session/process termination facilities:
>
> sqlnet.ora file sqlnet.expire_time parameter
>
> and
>
> User profile IDLE TIME parameter
>
> I know one would be at the user level and one would
> be global, but, I need to know what kind of termination
> occurs and what impact, if any. In addition, I
> want to insure that if a session fires off a process
> that takes several hours that it would not be
> a canidate for termination just because it is waiting
> (idle) for the process to complete.
> Any input would be appreciated.

As my understanding,

  sqlnet.expire_time means a sql*net connection will be dropped if the connection is idle for a specified time. But the connection will be re-created if the client enters new transactions etc.

'IDLE_TIME' in user profile is used when no request to Oracle Server (such as DML,DDL statement). Then, the user will be disconnected from Oracle Server. If the user want to issue a new request, an error message is returned to indicate the disconnection fact. The user has to explicitly
re-connect to oracle Server.
If a request to Oracle Server is un-finished, the process is not considered
to be idle although the user seems waiting many hours doing nothing. (Such as a report runs several hours).

Hui, Kwok Miu (Xu, Guo Miao)         E-Mail: huikomix_at_dt.com.hk
Assistant MIS Manager                Tel   : (00852)2589 3369
Cho Yang (Hong Kong) Co., Ltd.       Fax   : (00852)2559 3049