Re: Oracle 7.3 NT backup

From: Jared Hecker <jared_at_planet.net>
Date: 1997/01/03

First off, what type of backup? An export? A filesystem backup?

There are a range of options. For a development db I would take a filesystem backup after initial config then take nightly exports with maybe a monthly filesystem backup. Data content is really not critical, and exports take care of backing up logical changes.

For production I would take an export and a filesystem backup. Whoa, you might say, why both? Because running NT version 7.3 has, last I heard, major problems running in archivelog mode. If the archivelog bug is fixed, run in archivelog mode, back up filesystem and archivelogs (and control files and redo logs) nightly, do an export once a week or once a month, whatever suits you (depending on how often the db structure changes).

(BTW, if this is a busy database you should be taking archivelogs off to another medium and deleting them periodically during the day. This will minimize recovery problems in the event of media failure.)

So much for the 'what', here's some 'how's:

  1. The NT resource kit includes Unix utilities such as tar. NT server comes with a batch scheduler. Cobble up a command script to implmenet your backup scheme of choice, put a tape in the server and schedule the job.
  2. Look a some the better third-party facilities, such as Legato Networker or Sytos or any of a half-dozen others. These tools generally are faster than tar or cpio and offer streaming and compression support if you have the tape drive for it.

hth -

jh

Tom Marquardt (tjm_at_unix1.sba.com) wrote:
: Does anybody have any suggestions on the best way
: to perform a backup of an Oracle 7.3 database on an
: NT 3.51 machine. I want to run it from a batch
: file on a nightly bases.

: It would be ideal if I could backup to a file and
: then backup the machine to a tape.

: Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please
: email responses to me. I will post a summary
: of all responses.

: Thanks!!

: --
: Tom Marquardt Email: tjm_at_unix1.sba.com
: Phone: 312-644-6610 ex. 2901

--
Jared Hecker              |  ** HWA, Inc. **   Oracle and Sybase
jared_at_hwai.com            |    database architecture and administration