Re: Real basic archive log question

From: Stephen R. Egesdahl <stephen.egesdahl_at_nike.com>
Date: 1997/01/03

dblocher_at_ptd.net wrote:

> When I run in archive log mode and backup the databse, What should I
> do with old archive transaction logs, when can you get rid of them,

Can't speak for everyone, but we typically keep a several days worth on-line at all times. (We do hot backups each night) This makes recovery easier and faster. The other archived trans logs, we keep them on tape for an extended period of time, with the other backups. You only need these files in the event of a recovery <g>, so you must keep the ones since your last good backup. With archive redo logs, it is better to have more than you need than be missing one.

> and do you ever want to reset the numbers?
I don't think it should be necessary to reset the numbers.

Stephen R. Egesdahl             email: stephen.egesdahl_at_nike.com
Senior Oracle DBA/DA            phone: (503)671-NIKE
The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of Nike, Inc.