Update triggers - can you detect columns not being updated?

From: John Mara <john.mara_at_conncomp.com>
Date: 1997/01/02

Greetings, salutations and Happy New Year! I have a question for those of you versed in Oracle update triggers. We are building an application that maintains tables, with each table containing two audit columns. One column contains a user id of who updated it last, another contains the date and time of the update.

We would like the application to supply these values, and have the trigger supply them if the tables are updated outside of the application. To do that, we need to detect if these two columns are included within an update statement. Therein lies the problem. With an update statement, any columns that are not supplied in remain unchanged. We haven't found a way to detect if the columns are used?

Any suggestions? Thanks! Received on Thu Jan 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CST