Re: swap space declines on ultrasparc1/Solaris2.5 with Oracle Workgroup Server

From: Allen Kirby <akirby_at_att.com>
Date: 1997/01/02

Geoffrey Dann wrote:

> I have a new Ultra-1 with 64 MB of memory, two 2.1GB disks,
> and Solaris 2.51. I installed Oracle Workgroup Server 7.3.
> The swap partition is 192 MB.
>
> Swap space goes downhill over a few days, and the only
> solution I know is to reboot. I've tried using the
> default setup, where /tmp is mounted on the swap partition,
> and using /tmp separately.
>
> There's almost no traffic on the server, as it's new,
> unadvertised, and I'm just learning how to use it.
>
> Ideas?
> Thanks..
> geoff
>
> Geoffrey Dann
> Naval Facilities Engineering Services Center, Port Hueneme CA USA
> geoff_at_nfesc.navy.mil

Geoffrey,

	Our major culprit for low swap space is typically large
	processes, not /tmp.  Do a ps -ealf command and look at the
	size column.  Oracle processes will grow over time to a
	maximum size and stop.  If this is the case, stopping and
	restarting the processes will return the swap space.  BTW,
	how far does it go down?  Do you run out?  You can expect
	the free swap to decline, but I wouldn't worry unless you are
	close to running out or actually do run out.  Use vmstat to
	check.  Hope this helps.

Allen
--
---
Allen Kirby			AT&T ITS Production Services