Re: Killing a session

From: Mike Biggin <mbiggin_at_denr.sa.gov.au>
Date: 1997/01/02

B C Zygmunt wrote:

> Sometimes when I have killed a session the process stays "alive" until I shut
> down the database. Is there a way to force the killing?
>
> TIA.
>
> Beverly Zygmunt
> Oak Ridge National Lab

I have found that quite often a 'killed' session entry hangs around in the V$SESSION table after issuing a 'kill session' command from sqldba (or svrmgrl). In my experience it is better to get the pid number of the process by joining V$SESSION with V$PROCESS for a given session, then terminate the process at the operating system level. Oracle then takes care of rollback etc., and removes the V$SESSION entry on completion.

--
Mike Biggin
DENR, South Australian Government

Unless explicitly attributed, the opinions expressed are personal
and not those of DENR or the South Australian Government.