Re: OCI performance

From: Adrian P Challinor <Adrian.Challinor_at_osiris.co.uk>
Date: 1996/12/31

On Sat, 28 Dec 1996 21:26:23 -0800, randyk_at_seanet.com (Randolph S. Kahle) wrote:

>I need to know how much performance to expect from OCI and the array
>interface.
>
>I need to append (insert) a lot of short (200 byte) rows into
>a table. I need to be able to insert between 16 and 40 records
>per second. The table has no index, no contraints, etc.
>
>Does anyone know if I can get that type of performance on a
>Pentium/200 class machine with 256Meg RAM using OCI's array
>interface?
>
>If I can't get this performance using OCI, does anyone know if I can get
>this using the bulk loader?
>
>Thanks --

Yes, you can get this sort of performance - at least, we get it!. We are the authors of Database Archiver, a row level archival tool that operates with referential integrity checking.

We have one client who regularly archives data from a data warehouse. In trials, we found that using the ARRAY interface more than quadrupled the performance of the product. We were seeing the ARCHIVE process on a straight table taking about 45 minutes for some 4.5 Million records (so about 1600 records per second), but that was having to select records which were not indexed.

The equivalent restore took about 5 minutes, so about 15,000 records per second. The extra time on ARCHIVE was due to having to do a full tablescan of the fact table, which held some 90 million rows and occupies around 15 GB (yep- thats one table).

We were doing this on different hardware, it was actually an RS/6000 J30. We have not yet done full performance tests on our P200's, but early indications are that they are very fast. I expect that a quad P200 system will out perform an 8 way PowerPC 601 with ease.

Obviously your millage will vary, there's so much it depends on. E-Mail me direct if you want more information or want some help setting up a test.

Adrian Challinor
Osiris Consultants Ltd
Adrian.Challinor_at_osiris.co.uk

Adrian P Challinor
Osiris Consultants Ltd
Adrian.Challinor_at_osiris.co.uk Received on Tue Dec 31 1996 - 00:00:00 CST