Re: Oracle Database Migrating between platforms

From: Adrian P Challinor <Adrian.Challinor_at_osiris.co.uk>
Date: 1996/12/31

On 24 Dec 1996 15:54:24 GMT, "Ian Stevenson" <stevenson_at_logica.com> wrote:

>If you can connect the two machines togther so that they can communicate
>accross
>sqlnet then you could use a series of INSERT into <table> SELECT * from
>target system unless you are using 7.3 in which case there is an
>UNRECOVERABLE option that will avoid creating rollback entries. You would
>have to be sure that you load parents before children to keep your
>referential integrity intact. You will have to manually recreate all other
>database objects such as stored procedures etc. since these are owned by
>system. You will have to re-create any sequences and be sure to set them to
>the next number for the given primary key!
>Ian Stevenson

Not sure if this helps you in the situation you describe, but we have a lump of code that works over the network to do just what you describe (SELECT from one, INSERT to another), but which does COMMITS every so often (you decide). It is restartable, so that if it fails halfway thru (the client we wrote this for has a shakey network!) it can pick up from where it left off.

request for source code by E-Mail to:

        Adrian.Challinor_at_osiris.co.uk

It not supported - so we don't sell it! If it proves popular enough we might make it in to a product.
Adrian P Challinor
Osiris Consultants Ltd
Adrian.Challinor_at_osiris.co.uk Received on Tue Dec 31 1996 - 00:00:00 CST