Re: DEC Alpha and Oracle

From: Barry Schader <barry.schader_at_medtronic.com>
Date: 1996/12/30

Andy Parker wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Dec 1996 17:12:41 +0500, Anup Jalan
> <anupcomp_at_giasbm01.vsnl.net.in> wrote:
>
> >Hi!!
> >
> >A friend is looking at the following configuration:
> >
> >DEC Alpha running Oracle 7.3
> >About 30 concurrent users
> >Database size approx. 4 GB
> >Mainly OLTP applications
> >Front end - Win 95/PowerBuilder
> >
> >What configuration would you recommend for the Server:
> > How much RAM?
> > What OS - NT or UNIX ? Why ?
> >
> >Any suggestions?
> >
> We run about 20 users into a 4Gb Oracle 7.1 database on an Alpha 2100
> 5/250 with 256Mb and it goes like stink ( compared to the Mvax 3100/90
> we just migrated from :-))
> I would suggest VMS, then VMS then VMS but then I am biased, I like an
> OS that works - all the time.
>
> --
> Andy Parker, Team Leader, Information Systems, Furness College
> Home:- andyp_at_netcomuk.co.uk
> Work:- andyp.04100350.FESERVE_at_dialnet.co.uk

GO VMS! :-) Actually, I just brought up Oracle 7.2 on NT 3.51 on an AlphaStation 400 (233) with 96MB of RAM a few month back. I've got a 3GB query-heavy database on it. Even with only 32MB dedicated to the SGA, the Oracle database caching mechanisms seem to work very well for us, which means that the processor is strained sometimes.

The biggest surprise for me, coming from the VMS environment, is the total lack of a decent batch scripting language (ala DCL or UNIX shell scripts) in NT. Since most of my updates are done in batch, I've really struggled. I finally bought Hamilton C Shell.

Reliability-wise, I have no complaints about NT or the Alpha.

Barry Schader
barry.schader_at_medtronic.com Received on Mon Dec 30 1996 - 00:00:00 CST