Re: Oracle password problem related to installation

From: SChebr123 <schebr123_at_aol.com>
Date: 1996/12/29

Login as 'orcale' or any 'dba' group user on Unix server. Run 'svrmgrl', connect as internal and shutdown the database. Read 'DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR' manual for information on setting up Remote Database Administration.

Samba.
Sambasiva_at_msn.com

Hi,

        My company just purchased all of the Oracle pieces and I just installed 7.3.2.1 on a Sparc 1000 w/128M RAM running Solaris 2.5, and completed the Webserver install. However, as I did those two things and was preparing to load 7.3.2.2 (patches and upgrades), I tried to connect internal to the running (test) database (no data loaded; it's the default which Oracle creates if you elec to install db objects at installation) to shut it down so I could do the upgrade. Although It would allow me to connect, it would NOT allow me to shut the instance down, and gave me error message "insufficient privileges". Then I tried connecting as sys/system/etc but got same error msg. I was logged into our server through a client.

        In other words, I cannot connect as any user with sufficient privileges
to shut the instance down. Are there any other params I can set in init<db>.ora or config<db>.ora to solve this? I'd hate to reload 7.3.2.1 again.

        Any help sincerely appreciated.

		Thanks,
			Tom