Oracle password problem related to installation

From: <tdrudy_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/12/29

Hi,

        My company just purchased all of the Oracle pieces and I just installed 7.3.2.1 on a Sparc 1000 w/128M RAM running Solaris 2.5, and completed the Webserver install. However, as I did those two things and was preparing to load 7.3.2.2 (patches and upgrades), I tried to connect internal to the running (test) database (no data loaded; it's the default which Oracle creates if you elec to install db objects at installation) to shut it down so I could do the upgrade. Although It would allow me to connect, it would NOT allow me to shut the instance down, and gave me error message "insufficient privileges". Then I tried connecting as sys/system/etc but got same error msg. I was logged into our server through a client.

        In other words, I cannot connect as any user with sufficient privileges to shut the instance down. Are there any other params I can set in init<db>.ora or config<db>.ora to solve this? I'd hate to reload 7.3.2.1 again.

        Any help sincerely appreciated.

		Thanks,
			Tom