Re: License for Web-Server??

From: Martin Smith <mfsmith_at_erols.com>
Date: 1996/12/28

Mehrdad Piroozram wrote:

OK, here's what my sales rep is saying:

If you want to use the *Oracle* Webserver (version 2 or higher), then you need to buy it (couple of $1,000), PLUS, you need user licensing as follows:

(1) if you already have a Oracle enterprise server license (the regular database with number-of-simultaneous-users license) then you can give access to everyone IN YOUR ORGANIZATION without further licenses, subject of course to the same simultaneous-user restriction.

(2) If you want to give access to the world via an Oracle Web server on the Internet, then you have to buy (another) 32-simultaneoulus-user license for whatever platform you put it on. When I squawked at that pricing, he suggested taking our current 32-user license and serving all but developers that way (users inside and outside the organization) and getting a new 8-user license for the developers to use. Hmm. I'm guessing they are feeling some heat on this pricing.

(3) I am operating on the assumption that if I do NOT use the Oracle Web product (or just use my current "free" version 1.0), then I have NO additional payment to make merely to access the Oracle database, assuming I am staying within my 32-user simultaneous user license--just like I was using Access and ODBC.

Martin Smith