Re: Security for sqlplus--

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_dvol.com>
Date: 1996/12/26

Brian Spears <brian_spears_at_dsi.bc.ca> wrote:

>HI,
>
> Does anyone know how to limit how SQLPLUS is used. Ie. All users
> have all privs to schema through an application's standard use of
> ORACLE. I want to allow users to use sql*plus with select privilege
> only. Can I control who can access sql*plus? If so I could create
> a user with no quota and only select privs to access sql*plus. This
> solution would do if I can control user access to the tool.

If you mean you only want to give them select privileges on existing tables, that's easy. Just create a role and grant select privileges to it for all tables in question. Then create each individual user and grant them the role.

This will NOT prevent them from creating their own tables and updating them however. They only way I can think of to do that is to not grant them any quota on any tablespaces.

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_dvol.com

This message delivered by electronic sled dogs. WOOF!