Oracle Developer Programme - Application Notes, FAQ

From: Ravindra Garg <ravindra_garg_at_xn.xerox.com>
Date: 1996/12/25

I am a little surprised to see the complexion of Oracle support change with this new Oracle developer programme.

All these developers have been toiling day and night to make Oracle products run to some extent. In the process, they discover these bugs and limitations behind the great promises made by the Marketing folks. We, guniea pigs, spend endless hours of frustrations dealing with Oracle support, other Oracle users and come up with work arounds that may or may not be appropriate for the performance. We still stick them in order to protect the corporate investments.

If you strategize to build a profit center around these technical tips, tricks and work arounds that essentially should have been addressed by your bug resolution organization in the first place, I feel not all developers will have visibility to the pitfalls, their frustations will increase, Developers will stop contributing any work arounds to Oracle. Oracle is incurring a risk in denting their Product sales in the longer run.

By contrast, Hewlett Packard is a success story even in their components business, where they back their products not only with Specifications and whit papers, but also a whole lot of APPLICATION NOTES.

You may see a copy of this note in Oracle User Groups for the wider awareness.

Regards, Received on Wed Dec 25 1996 - 00:00:00 CST