hw/sw for setting up oracle db on internet

From: rick forrest <rickfor_at_scsn.net>
Date: 1996/12/24

hi.

we've been using dev2k for windows, Oracle Server for sun for about 2 years.

I've been asked to find out what it would take to put our Oracle database onto
the internet so our consultants in the field could see the database (thru SQLNet I assume).

I'm really looking for some pointers to info on how to get started. Here's what I think I know so
far:

I'll need a dedicated connection with an ISP. We have one here in town that offers a dedicated
33.6 line for somewhere around a $100 a month

I'll need a server on my end. That could be an NT box, or my Sun. I'm leaning towards the NT
because I _think_ that'll be easier to set up.

I'll want the NT, and the Sun to have dedicated IP addresses (provided by my ISP, I assume).

I'll want all kinds of security in place to prevent unauthorized access. Will NT provide that?

My users will have SLIP/PPP accounts with ISP's around the US. They'll dial in to the ISP,
then access the database thru the Oracle tools using SQLNet and TNSNAMES.ORA. That
way, they won't care where the database is. Should be transparent to them.

Any info greatly appreciated.

rick Received on Tue Dec 24 1996 - 00:00:00 CST