Re: Q. Linux and Oracle

From: Mark Merritt <merritt_at_mail.msen.com>
Date: 1996/12/24

Michael Hartley (hartleym_at_netcomuk.co.uk) wrote:
: Hi all,
:
: does anyone have experience of mounting SCO Oracle 7.x on Linux
: (slackware)?
:
: We are attempting to test mount on a development system SCO Oracle
: 7.3.22 onto Slackwares Linux v2.0 but are having trouble with the
: install.
:
: We've obtained the SCO binaries listed in the document :
: http://www.wmd.de/wmd/staff/pauck/pub_html/misc/oracle_on_linux.html
:
: Any help would be gratefully received.
:
: Michael.

Hello -
I installed 7.1.5.2.0 Workgroup Server(the one that was out on the Oracle 'Try and Buy' web page) for SCO on a 2.??(currently at 2.0.23) kernel last summer using the document you refer to and a few others I found by searching on +oracle +linux from altavista. I also found a page describing how to do the installation without having to get the SCO binaries, which is how I did it.

I don't recall any real specific problems. Have you verified that IBCS2 is working? In my case, due to a lack of disk space, I had to create links all over the place to get the install source on disk on my Linux box. This caused horrendous problems and I wound up biting the bullet and clearing off enough space on one drive to hold the installation source. All in all, it was a messy, time-consuming job, but well worth it in my opinion. The only problems I have now are that sqldba won't run in full screen mode and a few 'setlocale' errors from sqlplus that don't seem to hurt anything. Sure wish I had Pro*C! I don't guarantee I can help, but if you have specific questions feel free to e-mail me. Received on Tue Dec 24 1996 - 00:00:00 CST