Re: Help: Moving Control Files

From: Gary Meyers <gmeyers_at_arco.com>
Date: 1996/12/23

Thanks to Erik for the reply below.

Actually, the problem was solved by Oracle Worldwide Customer Support--after I held while the Support Rep. "went to ask someone about this".

The answer was---
"Change the pathname in your SQL*Net listener.ora file from

/export/..../... to /data/.../... "

To which I intelligently replied "Huh? Why would changing a sqlnet setting make sqldba be able to find my control file? I've named it right in my config.ora file."

Oracle Person:"I'm not sure either, but that's what they said."

So I did it, and .....it works

Erik Oosterling wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Dec 1996 16:01:47 GMT, Gary Meyers <gmeyers_at_arco.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Particulars: Solaris 2.5, Sparcstation 20, Oracle v7.2.3.0.0
> >
> >I need to move 2 of my 3 control files.
> >(Following the Oracle 7 Server Administrators Guide)
> >After shutting down the
> >database and exiting SQL*DBA, I copied 2 of my 3 control files to
> >new locations, renamed the originals, and changed the control file
> >locations in configprod.ora (which is, of course, pointed to by
> >initprod.ora, "prod" being the SID)
> >
> >I restarted the instance (which came up fine). Then in sqlplus, I said
> >
> >select * from dba_data_files;
> >
> >and get:
> >SQL> select * from dba_data_files;
> >ERROR:
> >ORA-00210: cannot open control file
> >'/export/edwardd01/oracle/data/prod/cntrl2prod.cntl'
> >ORA-07368: sfofi: open error, unable to open database file.
> >SVR4 Error: 2: No such file or directory
> >

> >The pathname above is my OLD pathname, and IS NOT what's in
> >configprod.ora.
> >
> >I can find no ref. in the manuals regarding renaming the control file
> >in the database--only OS renames/moves are indicated, as well as the
> >changes in configSID.ora.
> >
> >Any help is appreciated.
>
> Hi Gary,
>
> I believe you have to put the logfiles first offline.

Gary Meyers
gmeyers_at_arco.com Received on Mon Dec 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CST