Mutli-treaded Server

From: Robert Jennings <rjennings_at_andersencorp.com>
Date: 1996/12/22

We're using MTS on a Seqeunt SE20 running Dynix/Ptx 4.1.3 and oracle 7.1.6.  We have dispatchers for two protocols, TCP/IP and IPC. The tcp connections are for Brio users (queries) , and the IPC connections are for Forms 3.0 users, who run character mode on the host machine.

I have no problems with tcp connections, but run into a problem with the IPC connections. We can successfully get up to about 120 users going through IPC, but once we reach a certain number of connections we always get the following error:

        TNS 12540:internal limit restriction exceeded

The cause in the oracle manual states that too many TNS connections are open simultaneously, and to wait for connections to close and then retry.

Also, in the UNIX system log, the following message appears:

        01: WARNING: TCP: tcoo_open: cannot allocate endpoint

We have not exceeded the maximum number of connections per dispatcher. Also, we have adjusted NPROC and UPROC to very high numbers, so that shouldn't be a problem. The maximum number of udp and tcp connections is also set higher (340) then where we run into a problem (128 connections).

Is there a UNIX kernel parm that I'm missing??? Oracle support is not much help on this, all they could suggest was the NPROC and UPROC parms.

If anyone knows of a solution to this problem. Please e-mail a response to both of the following addresses:

	rjennings_at_andersencorp.com  (make sure to spell andersen with an 'e') or
	rjenning_at_spacestar.com

Thanks for the help!!!

Rob Jennings
Technical Architect/DBA
Andersen Windows Received on Sun Dec 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CST