Multi-Threaded Server

From: Robert Jennings <rjenning_at_spacestar.com>
Date: 1996/12/20

I am attempting to get MTS properly configured on a Sequent SE20 (Oracle 7.1.6/ Dynix/Ptx 4.1.3).
The main app for this box uses Forms 3.0/Menu 5.0 running on the UNIX host, so most connections are IPC. I am able to get the database up and running using MTS with shared servers for both TCP and IPC connections. TCP connections are not a problem. However, after reaching a certain number of IPC connections I get the following oracle error:

ora-12540 TNS Internal limit restriction exceeded (lowest level message, this one is the key)

After getting this message, I can't establish additional IPC connections, and I end up having to shutdown & restart the listener. I have enough dispatchers & server procs for both protocols, and I have not exceeded the maximum number of connections per dispatcher.

I received a bulletin from Oracle that suggested looking at the UNIX kernel parms NPRC and UPROC. Both of these are set sufficiently high. Also the max number of tcp & udp connections is set much higher than the number of connections where I run into problems.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I might try to resolve this, I would appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Note: Please make sure to spell andersen with an 'e' if you reply to this message...