Re: Killing a session

From: Nilo SEGURA CHINCHILLA <nilo_at_sundb02.cern.ch>
Date: 1996/12/19

In article <59brd4$b89_at_news0-alterdial.uu.net>, gjackson_at_pier1.com (Greg Jackson) writes:
**In article <32B8FD55.1A5_at_dircon.co.uk>
**Tim Rogers <timr_at_dircon.co.uk> wrote:
**
**> B C Zygmunt wrote:
**>> Sometimes when I have killed a session the process stays "alive" until I shut
**>> down the database.
**> When you kill a session the database has to rollback the transaction. If
**> the transaction is hefty it can take a while to rollback before finally
**> disappearing.
**
**You can rollback the transaction manually to get the session out quicker
**by getting the transaction ID from v$transaction and then use
**
**ROLLBACK WORK FORCE '<transaction_ID>';
**
**greg jackson
**gjackson_at_pier1.com
**
**

Excuse me, but according to the manuals, ROLLBACK WORK FORCE is used to rollback in-doubt DISTRIBUTED transactions... the transaction_id you must get it from DBA_2PC_PENDING ... I simply can not see how you can use 'rollback work force' to rollback normal non-distributed transactions. v$transaction does not give a transaction id, you have the info on the 'position' in the rollback segment your transaction has been assigned to

Am I missing something here or is it an undocumented feature ?

  regards...

Nilo Segura Chinchilla                    *   e-mail nilo.segura_at_cern.ch
Computing and Network Division            *          nilo_at_sundb02.cern.ch
European Laboratory for Particle Physics  *   phone +41 +22 7674943
Geneva - Switzerland                      *

  "I am the one who steps from the shadows" - John Constantine