Oracle ODBC Performance ?

From: Larry Monack <lmonack_at_sprynet.com>
Date: 1996/12/18

     We wrote a system to utilize direct ODBC calls because performance
     is an issue. It takes about 20 seconds or so to make an Oracle
     connection. ODBC, and Oracle has time out constraints (we are using 15

     min. If the system has been idle for 15 min, it disconnects. It then
     requires another "mysterious" connect wait when we send the next
     transaction.

     I guess we could keep the connection open forever, but that would have

     a negative impact on network resources, and probably raise havoc with
     our licensing. Do you have any ideas as to how we can make the
     transactions more "seamless" and transparent to the user ?