Re: RAID and Oracle

From: Jeff Masteller <jmast_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 1996/12/18

We have used RAID level 5 and 6 for several years

RAID 5 does have a write penalty because of the CRC and double writes

So what you need to consider is how much writing you do vs reading on most systems the reads are about 90 % of all disk I/O and this is ok for RAID 5

Also most controllers have hardware I/O caching for reads and writes. We have 32 meg of memory on our level 5

If you are doing a lot of down loads from a mainframe then you should consider RAID level 6