Re: Exporting large (>8 gig) database in UNIX?

From: Pierre <maverick_at_videotron.ca>
Date: 1996/12/18

The best solution for you would be to export your datas by clusters, each less than or equal to 2go. Meaning that you would:

  1. Export the structures of the database.
  2. Export the grants, constraints and indexes.
  3. Export the rows of the tables using parfiles to separate the tables into clusters. (Your parfiles could be easily generated by a program that scans the tables and their actual size (dba_segments) in the DB,hence creating parfiles that includes sets of tables totalling less than 2go)

        You would then be able to import your databases as follow:

  1. Import the structures.
  2. Import the datas into the structures.
  3. Import the constraints and indexes.

        I actually do something similar on my site.

	If you need more info about the switches to use with the export
	or import programs, e-mail me at maverick_at_videotron.qc.ca