Large raw partitions > 2GB on Sequent platform

From: <ken_hartman_at_firstdata.com>
Date: 1996/12/17

We are a Sequent site running DYNIX/ptx version 4.2.0. This verion supports files up to 1TB, but we can't seem to make certain sizes work. We have successfully created a 1, 2, 5, 6 and 13 GB partitions, but can't make 3, 4, and 8 GB. The Oracle errors states we don't have enough space on the device, but a dd of the raw partition proves otherwise. Our Sequent SE80 is connected to a StorageTek disk array system. Our initial database size will be around 700 GB, so we don't want to work with 2GB files. I'm also uncomfortable with the way Oracle is creating these. Their support is very poor on this subject, so I don't trust the partitions that are working. Anyone out there running DYNIX/ptx 4.2.0 that could lend us a hand. Thanks.