Re: Losing control files

From: Miran Novak <Miran.Novak_at_mch.sni.de>
Date: 1996/12/17

Dafydd wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a UNIX sysadmin who knows very little about Oracle DBA. (It's
> someone else's job.) Recently we had a problem whose solution was to do
> a complete restore from tape, thus losing that day's data. I would like
> to offer the problem to this group to see if a better solution could have
> been found.
>
> Our databases are kept on different drives from the log files and the
> control files. The drive holding the control files failed, was
> replaced, and restored from tape. So, now the control files are "a day
> older" than the rest of the databases. In general terms, how could we
> resynchronize the controls, ie. bring them up to date?
>
> Thanks,
> David
> --
> David Barr | A competent and self-confident person
> dafydd_at_pacbell.net | is incapable of jealously in anything.
> San Jose, CA | Jealousy is invariably a symptom of
> USA | neurotic insecurity. --Lazarus Long

Hi David,

i'm not 100% sure, if this works, but bevor loosing a day's work, try this:
- STARTUP MOUNT your database;
- backup your current controlfile using
  ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE NORESETLOGS; at this point you should get a tracefile in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/log;

- edit this tracefile, delete all the stuff till ...STARTUP NOMOUNT;
- save the file as <myname>.sql
- SHUTDOWN your database

and now, run the file <myname>.sql from sqldba / svrmgrl; this creates a new - IMHO up-to-date - controlfile, recovers your database
and brings your database - hopefully ;-) - online;

BTW, always split your controlfiles (Oracle recommends at least 3) across
different disks to prevent such situations.

Hope this helps.
Good Luck

Miran

--
mailto:Miran.Novak_at_mch.sni.de , SNI AG, ORACLE Database Support