Re: Tuning Oracle SQL

From: Brian M. Biggs <bbiggs_at_cincom.com>
Date: 1996/12/17

Mike Whaley wrote:

> This last guys has some good suggestions. I would add the following:
>
> 1) Remember to do an "ANALYZE" on each table and index. There is a
> stored procedure shipped with Oracle for this. The COST based optimizer
> does not stand a chance without it.

I'm still hearing conflicting reports about the usefulness of Oracle's cost-based optimizer. I've had Oracle people say that you're still better off sticking with the rule-based optimizer, even in Oracle 7.3.

Any opinions (dumb question, I know)?

Thanks,
Brian

--
Brian M. Biggs				mailto:bbiggs_at_cincom.com
Cincom Systems, Inc.			voice: (513) 677-7661