Re: Size Limit Question from a Non-DBA

From: Mike Biggin <mbiggin_at_denr.sa.gov.au>
Date: 1996/12/16

John Bruni wrote:

> We are currently running Oracle 7.2.2.3 on a SUN box, (Solaris 2.4).
>
> We would like to do an export of our data base but are told that there is a
> 2GB limit on the file size. Therefore, instead of exporting the data base
> in it's entirety we have to break it up.
>
> Anyone experience this.

The 2GB file size limit is imposed by the Unix operating system. If an export of your database would exceed this limit, you could try piping the output from exp into a compressed file. The steps involved are broadly as follows:-

  1. Create a pipe file.

        mknod pipefile p

2. Start compress in background, read from the pipe file, send

   compressed output to destination file. (Compress will start and    wait for data to come through the pipe.)

        compress < pipefile > export.dmp.Z &

3. Create a parameter file (exp.par) for exp, specify the pipefile

   as the output file.

4. Start exp and send data into the pipe.

        exp parfile=exp.par

--
Mike Biggin
DENR, South Australian Government

Unless explicitly attributed, the opinions expressed are personal
and not those of DENR or the South Australian Government.