Re: ORA-12505 What Is It?

From: Lun Wing San (Oracle) <wslun_at_qrcsun.qrc.org>
Date: 1996/12/15

Leo Bichon wrote:
> After the installation, we created new SID instances
> (2 specifically) using the instance manager. Shortly
> thereafter, we shut down these instances in favour of
> running scripts to create our own databases, as the
> one offered by the instance manager falls a little
> short. No big deal, WRONG! When we tried to
> start up the instances, we received this ORA-12505
> error? Of course the documentation skips over this
> particular code. Can someone help? We would really
> appreciate it. email me ...

12505, 00000, "TNS:listener could not resolve SID given in connect descriptor"

// *Cause:  The SID in the CONNECT_DATA was not found in the listener's tables.
// *Action: Check to make sure that the SID specified is correct.
// The SIDs that are supported can be obtained by typing
// "LSNRCTL STATUS <service name>" and matching the SID specified in
// TNSNAMES.ORA with one of the SIDs displayed in the services summary.

---
Name   : Lun Wing San
Title  : Oracle Application Developer of Hong Kong Productivity Council
         Oracle Database Administrator and System Administrator of QRC
Phone  : (852)27885841